• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Handle Hosts Who Resist Selling: A Guide for Coaches

Instead of saying "you're not planning to hold a gun to anyone's head are you?" she asks if there is a way to do the show without it feeling like an obligation. She then provides two solutions to this problem.
TheFreddiesCook
So if you are doing your host coaching by the book, what would you say to a host that says this to you?
As we talked about gathering orders from people who couldn't attend the show, she simply said she did not want to make people feel they had to buy for her... Ugh! I hate when they say things like this!

I tell them to say "we're sending the party in _(whenever it's closing)___ and I just wanted to check in with you in case you wanted to get anything..." I also tell the host that many times people thank me for the reminder because they did want to order but if they say no or put you off to just say something like "thats ok, I just didn't want you to miss out if you did want something". Saying something like that gives them an idea that it is about letting their friends decide if they want to get something and gives the friends a deadline. No one wants to be pushy so giving them words to say that they are comfortable with helps.

I remind them that not only is there no obligation but that there's a benefit to those friends that order via the hosts show - the guest specials, which aren't available on individual orders.

And they get cheaper shipping when it's going on a show. ;)

I laugh and say, "Well, you're not planning to hold a gun to anyone's head. Are you?" Then, I point out that there is a big difference between letting someone know that they can order and insisting that they order.

My response is this, "I as a consultant ask people all the time to host shows or join my team. I get "NOs" all the time. If it is not OK for them right now, they will say NO. But I found out early on that if I do not ask, and make that decision for someone else, it may hurt someone's feelings. I asked a whole bunch of people to host shows for me. I personally decided not to ask a friend who was well, not doing well at the time because I figured she could not afford to buy anything when she earned it and could not afford to buy food or drinks. She stopped talking to me for well over a year and I could not figure out why. She told me later that she would have said no at the time but that I really hurt her feeling because I had taken it upon myself to decide for her. That was not being a friend. In fact, it made her feel even worse about her situation.
Just tell her not make that decision for her friends. It may hurt some one's feelings.

This is from Tammy Stanley. She's talking about the objections from a guest about hosting a show. She phrases what you HEAR her say, and then how you respond to her objection (and what she is REALLY saying) and give the guest possible solutions.

Example
Guest (Hear): I don’t want my friends to feel obligated to buy something

You (Empathize): Oh I understand, you don’t want to invite your friends to feel like they have to buy something just because you invited them to a home product party. A number of my hostesses have felt that as well.

Guest (Hear): Yes.

You (Ask): may I ask you a question? Is it the very nature of “the home party” that concerns you – that the hostess gets free product based on whether or not her guests buy?

Guest (Hear): Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever been comfortable with that.

You (Ask): If there were a way to invite your friends without them feeling obligated to buy, is there any other reason we couldn’t go ahead and book a show?

Guest (Hear): I don’t see how that’s possible.

You (Respond): Well, some of my hostesses are comfortable if I just begin letting everyone know that I don’t want them to feel obligated to buy in any way shape or form, but if there’s a way I can help them or save them a trip to the store to buy birthday gifts or whatever, I certainly want to do that. Other hostesses prefer that the show become a mystery hostess show, where all the receipts are put into a box, and one is drawn and that person is given the hostess credits (it’s always funny when the actual hostesses name is drawn). Does either of those make you feel more comfortable about going ahead and scheduling a show?

Tammy is awesome!!! Thanks for posting this Bobbi.

I just picked up a new host who holds some sort of show every year as a fundraiser for one of her favorite charities. She actually did it as a book party as I couldn't fit it in when she wanted, and she sold over $500!

Related to How to Handle Hosts Who Resist Selling: A Guide for Coaches

1. How do I handle a host who is hesitant to sell?

First, try to understand the reason behind their reluctance. Are they uncomfortable with sales or worried about their friends' reactions? Once you know the root cause, address it by providing training, support, and reassurance. Remind them of the benefits of hosting a party, such as free products and discounts. Also, encourage them to focus on sharing their personal experience with the products rather than making a hard sell.

2. What if the host is not interested in selling at all?

Some hosts may not want to sell at all, and that's okay. Instead of pressuring them, focus on helping them have a successful party. Encourage them to invite friends and family who would be interested in the products, and offer tips on how to make the party fun and engaging. Remember, a successful party can lead to future sales, even if the host isn't directly involved.

3. How can I motivate a host who is not meeting their sales goals?

Start by setting realistic goals and expectations with the host from the beginning. If they are struggling to meet their goals, offer additional support and training. You can also incentivize them by offering rewards or bonuses for reaching certain sales milestones. Lastly, remind them of the benefits they will receive as a host, such as free products and discounts, to motivate them to continue selling.

4. What if the host is actively discouraging their guests from buying?

In this situation, it's important to address the issue directly with the host. Explain to them the negative impact it can have on their party's success and future sales. Offer to provide training on how to effectively sell without being pushy or aggressive. If the behavior continues, it may be best to find a new host who is more enthusiastic about sharing the products with their guests.

5. How can I maintain a good relationship with a host who is resistant to selling?

The key to maintaining a good relationship with a hesitant host is communication and understanding. Listen to their concerns and provide support and guidance. Show appreciation for their efforts and be understanding if they are not able to meet their sales goals. Remember to focus on the positive aspects of hosting a party, and be patient and encouraging throughout the process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
letmepamperu13
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • sillylittlechef