• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Recommendations for Tucson, Az

V
vwpamperedchef
Going to meet DH in Tucson for a few days in December, as he has a few days of leave before his overseas deployment.

Would love some recommendations for places to say, eat, things to do etc.

My husband is a total history buff--any ideas are welcomed!

THANKS

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is great! (Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum) Even though the name says museum it is more like a natural habitat zoo. December should be nice temperature wise.

Thanks Penny! Anyone else??

ive got a bunch of friends attending/attended u of a (i grew up in az). ill send out an email asking for good restaurants & pm you if i get any responses..

AZ Desert Museum (which has already been mentioned) is very cool. Also Tohono Chul Park, which is more in the city (Desert Museum is a short drive away) is pretty nice. It's a botanical garden that isn't gigantic but is very well kept. It has a Tea Room and a couple museum shops. For history type places, Old Tucson Studios is supposed to be neat (I haven't been there so I don't know) and the San Xavier del Bac Mission which is a very well preserved mission that is over 300 years old and is fascinating.

Places to eat... Beyond Bread (my absolute favorite) is a great morning place and they also have wonderful sandwiches and soups. They have fabulous baked goods and the best almond croissant I have ever eaten! On a week long trip to Tucson to visit family, I go here at least 5 times!

Down near the U of A, there is a great pizza place called Grimaldi's on the corner of Campbell and E 6th St. It's coal brick oven fired pizza, and it is out of this world! This place is famous for it's location in Brooklyn right under the Brooklyn Bridge.

There are tons of Mexican restaurants in town, but our favorite is the Guadalajara Grill. It's located near the intersection of Prince & Campbell on Prince. They come to your table with a cart and make your salsa fresh to order with what you want in it!

For a quick refreshment, try Eegee's and get an Eegee's. Eegee's (the place) are all over town. An Eegee (the drink/slush/icee thing) is hard to describe, but very good. I always get a small one (any larger leads to brain freeze) and get half strawberry and half pina-colada.

Sabino Canyon is nice to visit. Very pretty, though I'm not sure what it will be like that time of year, and you have to hike or take a tram to get anywhere. I know that it is very pretty in the spring, but haven't been there any other time of year.

I could go on and on.... but I'll leave you with those suggestions!

Most of my time in Tucson was spent hopping on or off planes and heading down to Nogales. However, here is something you might find fun:
HomeNogales in only about 1 1/2 hours south if you do want to go into Mexico. Of course I haven't been there in 10 years so I'm sure it is even MORE industrialized now!Back then I stayed at the Rio Rico Resort. I spent over 100 days in 1 year there so I pretty much had my own room! :) It is a nice place with a good restaurant and golf course. I also went horseback riding around there.I'll let someone else recommend restaurants since it has been so long for me.

I live in Tucson! Do you know what part of town you will be visiting?

The Pima Air and Space Museum is one of my Hubby's favorites. It is on the south east side of town.

janetupnorth said:
Most of my time in Tucson was spent hopping on or off planes and heading down to Nogales.

However, here is something you might find fun:
Home

Nogales in only about 1 1/2 hours south if you do want to go into Mexico. Of course I haven't been there in 10 years so I'm sure it is even MORE industrialized now!

Back then I stayed at the Rio Rico Resort. I spent over 100 days in 1 year there so I pretty much had my own room! :) It is a nice place with a good restaurant and golf course. I also went horseback riding around there.

I'll let someone else recommend restaurants since it has been so long for me.

Thanks All!! I love these recommendations!!

Janet---we are only allowed to go within certain range, and Mexico isn't one of them. The Col. is afraid some soldiers will skip out on the deployment! They aren't allowed to go back home either, and if they do they will get reprimanded, big time!

Thanks again!! Keep 'em coming!

Then I definitely recommend that air museum I gave you the link to.Enjoy your time!

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I live in Tucson! Do you know what part of town you will be visiting?

The Pima Air and Space Museum is one of my Hubby's favorites. It is on the south east side of town.

Hi Holly--I was surprised to see you were from Marana. I was born and raised (part of my youth) in Bisbee. We moved to NY once the copper mines started to close. My dad and grandfather also worked at Ft. Huachuca. My mom's family and my brother are still in Bisbee and Tucson. I do miss that place!

Good luck to your husband and family during his deployment. Is this a first time deployment?

We have family in AZ and have been there a few times love it
Tomb Stone i a fun place it's an old town old stores, thyalso have gun fights like in the old movies. Fn place.
Pinical Peek ia a restarant you can not ware a tie or they will come and cut it off. men's ties are hanging from the celing . very cool Old town too Gun fights shows too.

I started to handwrite all these recommendations and finally wised up and have copied and pasted into word!

The Tomb Stone place sounds fun too---hubby will love it more then me, I'm sure of it! LOL

(Andrea, I PMd you!)

Related to Need Recommendations for Tucson, Az

1. What are some recommended places to stay in Tucson?

Some popular places to stay in Tucson are the Arizona Inn, Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, and the Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. These options offer comfortable accommodations and convenient locations for exploring the city.

2. Can you suggest any restaurants in Tucson?

Tucson has a diverse food scene with many delicious options. For a taste of authentic Mexican cuisine, check out El Charro Cafe or Mi Nidito. If you're looking for a more upscale dining experience, try the award-winning Cafe Poca Cosa or the upscale Italian restaurant, Tavolino.

3. What are some must-do activities in Tucson?

Tucson is known for its beautiful desert landscapes and outdoor adventures. Some popular activities include hiking in Saguaro National Park, visiting the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and exploring the historic Mission San Xavier del Bac. Other options include taking a hot air balloon ride, visiting the Pima Air & Space Museum, or checking out the local art scene in the downtown area.

4. Are there any historical sites in Tucson that my husband would enjoy?

Absolutely! Tucson has a rich history, particularly in regards to its Spanish and Native American influences. Your husband may enjoy a visit to the Presidio San Agustin del Tucson Museum, the historic Tucson Mission Gardens, or the Arizona History Museum. You can also take a tour of the Barrio Historico neighborhood, which showcases Tucson's unique blend of cultures.

5. Any other recommendations for making the most of our time in Tucson?

If you have some extra time, consider taking a day trip to the nearby town of Tombstone, known for its Wild West history and attractions. You can also catch a show at the iconic Fox Tucson Theatre or spend a relaxing afternoon at the Reid Park Zoo. And don't forget to try some of the local specialties, like prickly pear cactus fruit or a Sonoran hot dog!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
erinb
Replies
Views
esavvymom