• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Exploring Crisco, Yellow Cake Mix, and SAM Spray for Baking in the UK

In summary, Crisco is a cooking oil, while yellow cake mix is just a boxed mix for the cakes that is yellow. There is a thread on here somewhere where someone is eating yellow cake wondering what the flavor is. The baking spray is like fry light. I use the PC Kitchen Spritzer.
babyicebean
Can you please tell me what

Crisco is
What yellow cake mix is
and
You talk about a spray for baking - think its called SAM - what is it?

Crisco is vegetable shortening
Yellow cake mix is just a cake mix that is yellow. There is a thread on here somewhere where someone is eating yellow cake wondering what the flavor is
The spray for baking would be my guess PAM. It is in an aresol can and I assume it is vegetable oil just in a can form. Someone an correct me if I am wrong on this. (I dont use it much)

Crisco is cooking oil.
Yellow cake mix is.... yellow cake mix! From a uk point of view... buy any cake mix.
The baking spray is like fry light. I use the PC Kitchen Spritzer.

I will award a special prize for some one to tell me what the UK equivilent of Cool Whip is. If I use regualar whipping cream, should I freeze it?!?!?

swinkate said:
Crisco is cooking oil.
Yellow cake mix is.... yellow cake mix! From a uk point of view... buy any cake mix.
The baking spray is like fry light. I use the PC Kitchen Spritzer.

I will award a special prize for some one to tell me what the UK equivilent of Cool Whip is. If I use regualar whipping cream, should I freeze it?!?!?

There isn't anything like it - You can use whipping cream whipped and add some confection sugar to it (the powder one used in that hard icing on cake over there) Cool whip is a little sweeter then the whipped cream from the whipping cream over there - no need to freeze since most of our recipes need it to defrost for spreading purposes.

Yes use the kitchen spritzer with the cooking oil or frying oil that you use for sausages or chips -

Yellow cake mix is the boxed mix for the cakes - I think its is refered to as Vanilla over there -

OT - I am leaving Dec 26 for Ireland again and CAN'T wait!!! Curry and chips!

the spray for baking would be the PAM with flour, or any cooking spray with flour. i love that stuff! i haven't had any problems with stickage to any of my glass or metal pans since i started using it for my baking needs instead of regular cooking spray. now if only PC could come up with a srayer that would mix the veg oil with flour to get the same effect!

You can't susbstitute whipped cream for cool whip in all recipes, because cool whip has stabilisers that help it to stay thick and fluffy where just using whipped cream it will get floppy/runny over time, as the cream will not hold it's "air". There is a product you can get over here that you can add to whipped cream to stabilise it, but I can't remember what it is called, Dr Something or other (I want to say it's a german sounding name!!). Lot's of help I am... LOL :) I'll try to Google it :)

Whipped cream tastes sooo much better though, cool whip is VERY sweet.

Swinkate: While you can buy crisco brand oil, when a recipe asks for crisco, it means vegetable shortening, NOT oil! People here use it a bit like we use lard back home (for instance in making pastry) but for more things... I'm not sure if there is a vegetable equivalent in the UK... It's been too long...

Hope this helps!

This is what I found when I did a search for cool whip substitute. I have no idea if this stuff is availble in the UK, but I guess the gelatin would work too (just a little bit, I would guess).

"use real whipped cream and add a packet of "Whip-It" from Dr. Oketer. It is basically a whipped cream stabilizer made with cornstarch. You could also soften some plain gelatin and whip thzt into your cream tp help it hold."

And this one made me laugh...

"I think most of those pie recipes won't work with whipped cream - it will collapse. CoolWhip is made from corn syrup, oil and a lot of chemicals so that it stays (probably forever) fluffy. Pretty icky."

And one more... I'd LOVE to hear from someone if this really works!!

JUST LIKE COOL WHIP
Source: Kittencal
Makes 2 cups (approx)

Note from source: Why buy Cool Whip, when you can make it for yourself, cheaper too, and just as good as the real thing. Although I have never tried it, but I imagine that the mixture could be frozen until ready to use. (note: bowl chilling time, includes prep time) Also, do not double the recipe, as it will not thicken properly.

1 teaspoon gelatin
2 teaspoons cold water
3 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup ice water
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
3 tablespoons sugar (or more if desired)
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Chill a small bowl.

Soften gelatin with 2 tsp cold water, then add the boiling water, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved; cool until tepid (almost room temperature).

Place ice water and dry milk powder in the chilled bowl. Beat at high speed, until mixture forms stiff peaks; add sugar and vanilla, still beating, then oil and gelatin.

Place in freezer for about 15 minutes, then transfer to refrigerator until ready to use.

Stir just before using, to retain creamy texture.

NOTES: do not double recipe or the mixture will not thicken. also, 1 tsp PURE vanilla may be added if desired.

Don't use canola oil (too strong tasting/reduce amount) Can use Splenda.

Sounds REALLY appetizing, doesn't it!! :D:yuck:

Last edited:
AnnieBee said:
You can't susbstitute whipped cream for cool whip in all recipes, because cool whip has stabilisers that help it to stay thick and fluffy where just using whipped cream it will get floppy/runny over time, as the cream will not hold it's "air". There is a product you can get over here that you can add to whipped cream to stabilise it, but I can't remember what it is called, Dr Something or other (I want to say it's a german sounding name!!). Lot's of help I am... LOL :) I'll try to Google it :)

Whipped cream tastes sooo much better though, cool whip is VERY sweet.

Swinkate: While you can buy crisco brand oil, when a recipe asks for crisco, it means vegetable shortening, NOT oil! People here use it a bit like we use lard back home (for instance in making pastry) but for more things... I'm not sure if there is a vegetable equivalent in the UK... It's been too long...

Hope this helps!

Cool whip is just whipped oil:yuck: I NEVER ever have it in my home. Any recipes that call for it I always use whip cream and have never had a problem.

So is this like Cool Whip?http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/britishfood.asp?id=TJ1345

Lol...When I first glanced at the link, I thought it said, "Birds Dream Dropping". I made me think of bird you know what. Ewwww... :D:yuck:

AnnieBee said:
Sounds REALLY appetizing, doesn't it!! :D:yuck:

So do a whole lot of everyday foods - after you're read the ingredients. Some of those products ingredients lists read more like a final exam in a graduate level chemistry class.

babyicebean said:
So is this like Cool Whip?http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/britishfood.asp?id=TJ1345

No, it's not. Cool Whip is sold in the freezer section here.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
So do a whole lot of everyday foods - after you're read the ingredients. Some of those products ingredients lists read more like a final exam in a graduate level chemistry class.

Believe me, I know. I check labels AND have a PhD in Chemistry, LOL :). But this recipe still sounds pretty yucky for a dessert topping! LOL! Although perhaps better than real cool whip... :)

On the other hand, some of the stuff that sounds like a "nasty chemical" is really innoculous. Like when they list all the ingredients in flour and milk. It sounds awful, but they are almost all just vitamins.

AnnieBee said:
On the other hand, some of the stuff that sounds like a "nasty chemical" is really innoculous. Like when they list all the ingredients in flour and milk. It sounds awful, but they are almost all just vitamins.

Yeah! Ban dihydrogen monoxide!!

*giggle*

Jennie4PC said:
Yellow cake mix is just a cake mix that is yellow. There is a thread on here somewhere where someone is eating yellow cake wondering what the flavor is.

When I was a kid, I was always concerned with what flavor a marble cake was, not to mention, what was in it.

babyicebean said:

No - but we do have a similar product called Dream Whip. I remember my mom using that in recipes when i was little. I think it could be used like Cool Whip in recipes.

By the way, Cool Whip is a brand name....the generic name is non-dairy frozen whipped topping. :D

There is a cake recipe from America's Test Kitchen that uses a homemade whipped cream recipe made with cream cheese. It holds up really well in the Strawberry Cream Cake. If the cake were made with cool whip or whipped cream the filling would squish out the sides when you cut it an not stay pretty. I love this cake and thought you might like the recipe for the filling.

Strawberry Cream Cake
from the Episode: Strawberry Cream Cake
Buy the 2007 Cookbook, Get the 2007 DVD Boxed Set FREE!

If using a cake pan, you will need one with straight sides that are at least 2 inches high; otherwise, use a springform pan. The cake portion can be made ahead of time, wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap, and frozen; thaw the frozen cake, unwrapped, at room temperature for about two hours before proceeding with the recipe.

Serves 8 to 10

Cake
1 1/4 cups cake flour (5 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
5 large eggs (2 whole and 3 separated), room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Strawberry Filling
2 pounds fresh strawberries (medium or large, about 2 quarts), washed, dried, and stemmed
4 - 6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Kirsch
Pinch table salt

Whipped Cream
8 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
1/2 cup sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon table salt
2 cups heavy cream

See Illustrations Below: Building a Strawberry Cream Cake

1. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour round 9 by 2-inch cake pan or 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and all but 3 tablespoons sugar in mixing bowl. Whisk in 2 whole eggs and 3 yolks (reserving whites), butter, water, and vanilla; whisk until smooth.

2. In clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat remaining 3 egg whites at medium-low speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. With machine running, gradually add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, increase speed to medium-high, and beat until soft peaks form, 60 to 90 seconds. Stir one-third of whites into batter to lighten; add remaining whites and gently fold into batter until no white streaks remain. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert cake onto greased wire rack; peel off and discard parchment. Invert cake again; cool completely, about 2 hours.

3. FOR THE STRAWBERRY FILLING: Halve 24 of best-looking berries and reserve. Quarter remaining berries; toss with 4 to 6 tablespoons sugar (depending on sweetness of berries) in medium bowl and let sit 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Strain juices from berries and reserve (you should have about 1/2 cup). In workbowl of food processor fitted with metal blade, give macerated berries five 1-second pulses (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). In small saucepan over medium-high heat, simmer reserved juices and Kirsch until syrupy and reduced to about 3 tablespoons, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour reduced syrup over macerated berries, add pinch of salt, and toss to combine. Set aside until cake is cooled.

4. FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM: When cake has cooled, place cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Reduce speed to low and add heavy cream in slow, steady stream; when almost fully combined, increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture holds stiff peaks, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes more, scraping bowl as needed (you should have about 4 1/2 cups).

5. TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE: Using large serrated knife, slice cake into three even layers. Place bottom layer on cardboard round or cake plate and arrange ring of 20 strawberry halves, cut sides down and stem ends facing out, around perimeter of cake layer. Pour one half of pureed berry mixture (about 3/4 cup) in center, then spread to cover any exposed cake. Gently spread about one-third of whipped cream (about 1 1/2 cups) over berry layer, leaving 1/2-inch border from edge. Place middle cake layer on top and press down gently (whipped cream layer should become flush with cake edge). Repeat with 20 additional strawberry halves, remaining berry mixture, and half of remaining whipped cream; gently press last cake layer on top. Spread remaining whipped cream over top; decorate with remaining cut strawberries. Serve, or chill for up to 4 hours.

Related to Exploring Crisco, Yellow Cake Mix, and SAM Spray for Baking in the UK

What is "For Those of Us in the UK"?

"For Those of Us in the UK" is a collection of specially curated products and recipes from Pampered Chef that are tailored to the needs and preferences of UK customers.

Do I need to be a UK resident to purchase from "For Those of Us in the UK"?

Yes, "For Those of Us in the UK" is only available to customers residing in the United Kingdom. However, you can still browse and purchase from our regular Pampered Chef collection if you are located outside of the UK.

Can I use my existing Pampered Chef account to shop from "For Those of Us in the UK"?

Yes, you can use your existing Pampered Chef account to shop from "For Those of Us in the UK". Simply choose the UK as your shipping country when checking out.

Are the prices on "For Those of Us in the UK" in British pounds?

Yes, all prices on "For Those of Us in the UK" are listed in British pounds. This is to ensure that our UK customers have a clear understanding of the cost of each product.

Can I return or exchange items purchased from "For Those of Us in the UK"?

Yes, you can return or exchange items purchased from "For Those of Us in the UK" within 30 days of purchase, as long as the items are in their original condition and packaging. Please refer to our return policy for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Barry Carlton
Replies
Views
twinchefs