• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Embrace Unity: Powerful Lincoln Quote Unites Obama's Speech & Your Theme Today

In summary, this was a great quote by Abraham Lincoln that Obama included in his speech - may it be your theme today.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
This was a great quote by Abraham Lincoln that Obama included in his speech - may it be your theme today:

"We are not enemies, but friends...though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection." - Abraham Lincoln

i loved it last night & i love it today.
thanks janet.

thecougchef said:
i Loved It Last Night & I Love It Today.
Thanks Janet.

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Janet. I enjoyed seeing young and old with all kinds of nationalities come together last night in Chicago. John McCain gave an excellent speech as well as Obama. I hope every American can take both of their messages forward and work together to heal this country and this world.

baychef said:
Thank you, Janet. I enjoyed seeing young and old with all kinds of nationalities come together last night in Chicago. John McCain gave an excellent speech as well as Obama. I hope every American can take both of their messages forward and work together to heal this country and this world.

Yes, I listened to both speeches too and they were both well written and executed.

janetupnorth said:
Yes, I listened to both speeches too and they were both well written and executed.

Me too, which is why I'm dragging today, and not getting done what I need to get done. I admit, I was only going to listen to McCain's concession speech, and then go to bed....but decided to stay up for Obama's speech too. I was glad I did. Both speeches were very healing.

ChefBeckyD said:
Me too, which is why I'm dragging today, and not getting done what I need to get done. I admit, I was only going to listen to McCain's concession speech, and then go to bed....but decided to stay up for Obama's speech too. I was glad I did. Both speeches were very healing.

healing for both sides. i admit that i did not vote for mccain. but i respected him greatly last night.

thecougchef said:
healing for both sides. i admit that i did not vote for mccain. but i respected him greatly last night.

Personally I would have loved to have been there and seen Lincoln give his original speech. Can you imagine what things were like after a Civil War? Lincoln had a HUGE task on his hands. We haven't had war in our country since then (thank goodness).

janetupnorth said:
Personally I would have loved to have been there and seen Lincoln give his original speech. Can you imagine what things were like after a Civil War? Lincoln had a HUGE task on his hands. We haven't had war in our country since then (thank goodness).

i remember thinking that when i went to gettysburg. i cant even imagine being there among the battlefields watching lincoln give this -although yet unknown- historical speech. thats why i love history. it just gives me chills to think about.

janetupnorth said:

Have you ever participated in a performance of A Lincoln Portrait? It's very moving - facts about Lincoln's life and some of his quotes set to music. I should see if I can find a transcript of the text to post.

chefann said:
Have you ever participated in a performance of A Lincoln Portrait? It's very moving - facts about Lincoln's life and some of his quotes set to music. I should see if I can find a transcript of the text to post.

No, that sounds very interesting and educational!

Found it!
From Aaron Copland's Lincoln Portrait"Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history."That is what he said. That is what Abraham Lincoln said."Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this congress and this administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance or insignificance can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor to the latest generation. We, even we here, hold the power and bear the responsibility." [Annual Message to Congress, December 1, 1862]He was born in Kentucky, raised in Indiana, and lived in Illinois. And this is what he said. This is what Abe Lincoln said."The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves and then we will save our country." [Annual Message to Congress, December 1, 1862]When standing erect he was six feet four inches tall, and this is what he said.He said: "It is the eternal struggle between two principles, right and wrong, throughout the world. It is the same spirit that says 'you toil and work and earn bread, and I'll eat it.' No matter in what shape it comes, whether from the mouth of a king who seeks to bestride the people of his own nation, and live by the fruit of their labor, or from one race of men as an apology for enslaving another race, it is the same tyrannical principle." [Lincoln-Douglas debates, 15 October 1858]Lincoln was a quiet man. Abe Lincoln was a quiet and a melancholy man. But when he spoke of democracy, this is what he said.He said: "As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy."Abraham Lincoln, sixteenth president of these United States, is everlasting in the memory of his countrymen. For on the battleground at Gettysburg, this is what he said:He said: "That from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion. That we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. That this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from the earth."
There's a Windows Media Player recording of a performance where I found that: Copland's 'Lincoln Portrait' : NPR Music

Thanks for posting this, Janet. I loved Obama's speech last night. I actually didn't vote for him and was a little worried about the results. I watched this speech to "hopefully" settle my nerves and accept that he would be our next president. I am so glad I did! My husband went to bed and didn't watch it. So, this will help me explain what he said to him.

Jane - you can Google and find the text of Obama's speech online for him to read. In fact I'm sure you can search You Tube shortly and find it too!

janetupnorth said:
Jane - you can Google and find the text of Obama's speech online for him to read. In fact I'm sure you can search You Tube shortly and find it too!

Good idea! I probably will!

Related to Embrace Unity: Powerful Lincoln Quote Unites Obama's Speech & Your Theme Today

1. What is the origin of the quote used in "Embrace Unity"?

The quote "A house divided against itself cannot stand" was originally spoken by President Abraham Lincoln in a speech on June 16, 1858.

2. How does the quote relate to the theme of unity?

The quote is used to emphasize the importance of unity in achieving success and progress. It suggests that if a group or nation is divided, it will not be able to stand strong and face challenges effectively. Thus, embracing unity is crucial in moving forward and achieving common goals.

3. How is the quote incorporated into Obama's speech and the theme of the event?

In his speech, Obama used the quote to highlight the division and polarization in the country and the need to come together in unity. He then tied it back to the theme of the event, emphasizing how embracing unity can bring about positive change and progress.

4. Can I use this quote for my own event or presentation?

Yes, the quote can be used for any event or presentation that focuses on the importance and power of unity. Just be sure to properly credit Abraham Lincoln as the original speaker.

5. How can Pampered Chef products be tied to the theme of "Embrace Unity"?

Pampered Chef products can bring people together through cooking and sharing meals. They can also be used to create unity within families and communities by bringing people together to create delicious and healthy meals that everyone can enjoy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Back