• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Cracked Ribs: Understanding the 'Clickety Click' Sensation

The sound can be created when two rough surfaces in the human body come into contact - for example, in osteoarthritis when the cartilage around joints has eroded away and the joint ends grind against one another, or when the fracture surfaces of two broken bones rub together.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Okay for those of you who have cracked or broken ribs in the past or for you medical experts such as Janet and Lisa why is it that as I'm breathing in I can feel something on my left side more in the left lower back area that's like two bones rubbing together. I breath in and feel them 'slide' and then breath out and feel them slide back. I'm imagining if I could hear them it would sound like 'click, click'.... What on earth?

Yep, their broken....if it is a complete fracture, you will hear and feel them rubbing each other when you breathe.

One note (it's the Respiratory Therapist in me). Do your deep breathing and cough while splinting....you risk a lung infection if you don't. Did they give you an Incentive Spirometer to use? If so, make sure you use it once each hour while awake (10-15 deep breaths).
If not, do that anyway.

Splint with a pillow bracing your ribs when you cough. It holds things in place.

It's ok, many others have had this injury and survived. It sucks, but it could be worse!

Hugs!

Last edited:
jwpamp said:
Yep, their broken....if it is a complete fracture, you will hear and feel them rubbing each other when you breathe.

One note (it's the Respiratory Therapist in me). Do your deep breathing and cough while splinting....you risk a lung infection if you don't. Did they give you an Incentive Spirometer to use? If so, make sure you use it once each hour while awake (10-15 deep breaths).

It's ok, many others have had this injury and survived. It sucks, but it could be worse!

Hugs!

Nope, they didn't give me one of those (see my got to ride in an ambulance thread). What exactly are they?

jwpamp said:

If not, do that anyway.

Splint with a pillow bracing your ribs when you cough. It holds things in place.

Hugs!

LOL I was just coming to ask what 'splint' meant and saw you edited. Thanks Janice. One question though, holding a pillow and squeezing, it helps with the ribs etc in the back? I know I had to do it when I broke my back years ago but not sure how that works with ribs in the back. Sorry for such stupid questions

The sound can be created when two rough surfaces in the human body come into contact - for example, in osteoarthritis when the cartilage around joints has eroded away and the joint ends grind against one another, or when the fracture surfaces of two broken bones rub together.

In soft tissues, crepitus can be produced when gas is introduced into an area where it normally isn't present. This is more around broken ribs area.

Incentive Spirometers are used to increase your tidal volume or increase you breath size. They show with a small ball how forceful your expiration is. There is also a marker you can move to keep track of how forceful the expirations are.

Splinting makes it easier to cough, which is needed to prevent pneumonia. It is the same when someone has surgery. It seems to make the site of concern less painful during coughing.

I feel for you! I fractured a rib from coughing soo hard when I was pregnant with my third child. It was HORRIBLE!!! I had a brace to wear, but I can honestly say it didn't seem to help much when I was laughing or coughing!! Hopefully you recover quickly! Sorry I don't have a lot of advice...just some sympathy!

jwpamp said:

If not, do that anyway.

Hugs!

LOL I was just coming to ask what 'splint' meant and saw you edited. Thanks Janice. One question though, holding a pillow and squeezing, it helps with the ribs etc in the back? I know I had to do it when I broke my back years ago but not sure how that works with ribs in the back. Sorry for such stupid questions

Oh, sweetie... I'm so sorry that you are experiencing so much discomfort and pain!!! I'd hug you, but I don't wanna hear your bones click. :)

Actually, the Incentive Spirometer uses a ball or float to show you how deep your Inspiration is, Pulmonary Function Spirometry (which is a test we can do) shows you lung function and how forcefull your exhalation is, how much lung capacity you have and more....

Anyway, if you don't have one, simply take 10-15 slow, deep breathes IN each hour, followed by a good, controled cough. It doesn't have to be huge, but you want to bring up any phlegm if it's there. That is what will cause a pneumonia....deep breathing and coughing will prevent it.

If your ribs are fractured in the back, you are pretty much on your own (although if you can figure out a way to press a pillow there during the cough, it will hurt less).

So sorry for your pain!

Thanks Janice that's what I was trying to figure out regarding the pillow. And I'll do what you and Lisa suggested - on a different thread - and do the deep breathes. I already had been doing it and coughing up phlegm most of the day anyway (sorry if TMI) but wasn't doing it consiously (sp?) just when I felt like my lungs had junk in them but now I'll make sure it's every hour for 10-15 breathes.

Oh, not when you are sleeping....PLEASE don't have your family wake you up to make you BREATH -- ;)

Let the vicodin fly, girl!!

Don't have any vicodin. :( Just tylenol 3's...and they're not much help!

Hmmm...call the doctor (or ER). Are you going to see a follow up Doctor? Don't be in pain! Ask for something!

I hope you got some rest last night.

kcjodih said:
Don't have any vicodin. :( Just tylenol 3's...and they're not much help!

I can only take those as well - I am allergic to codiene - they T3 wasn't much help after my c -section or when I cracked my ribs either - :yuck:

Well I slept about 5 hours last night and I've been up since 6 (it's 10 here now). Just took 2 tylenol 3's even though it says take one every 4 hours. It's taking the edge off but that's about it. Still in alot of pain. It does make me groggy though and I'm hoping I'll be able to nap soon. It's very uncomfortable with my sore neck, bruised tailbone, and my side and back that are killing me. Can't find a comfy position!

I have a follow up with my family doctor tomorrow that my DH will be taking me to. Hopefully he will give me something stronger AND a note to stay off work a little longer. I won't get paid but I just KNOW I won't be able to stand 9 hours or hoof boxes around!

Thanks all for your advice and concern. :D

Related to Dealing with Cracked Ribs: Understanding the 'Clickety Click' Sensation

1. What causes cracked ribs?

Cracked ribs, also known as rib fractures, can be caused by a variety of things such as a direct blow to the chest, a fall, or even severe coughing. It is important to seek medical attention if you suspect you have cracked ribs.

2. What is the 'clickety click' sensation?

The 'clickety click' sensation is a common term used to describe the feeling of ribs moving against each other or rubbing against the surrounding tissues. This can happen due to inflammation or when the ribs are not properly aligned.

3. How do I know if I have cracked ribs?

Some common symptoms of cracked ribs include pain, tenderness, and swelling in the affected area. You may also experience difficulty breathing and sharp pains when coughing or sneezing. It is best to consult a doctor for an accurate diagnosis.

4. How long does it take for cracked ribs to heal?

The healing time for cracked ribs varies depending on the severity of the injury. In most cases, it can take 6-8 weeks for the ribs to fully heal. However, it is important to rest and avoid strenuous activities to allow for proper healing.

5. What can I do to manage the pain from cracked ribs?

To manage the pain from cracked ribs, your doctor may recommend over-the-counter pain relievers, ice packs, and proper rest. It is important to avoid activities that worsen the pain and to follow your doctor's instructions for a speedy recovery.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janezapchef
  • Cindycooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Gina M
Replies