• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theOfficial Hijacking Threads Hijack Thread

In summary, many people are complaining about the way threads get hijacked and morph into something completely unrelated to the original thread title. Some say it's just the way normal conversation flows and topics change as one topic reminds speakers of another. Others say thread hijacking is an awful thing and it is terribly annoying. Well, this thread is going to stay on topic: thread hijacking! Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
baychef said:
My party is tonight, but I have got more on my to do list than there are hours in the day! Maybe they are all out for donuts this morning.:p
Nah, I don't think we have any cops up here.

(Did I just post that out loud?)

Yep... you did!DH and I went out for omelets for breakfast, then he ordered me a memory card for my new camera. ooohh..... exciting.....

I could use some additional memory myself, but I can't find the expansion port on the back of my head. I h ve th s prob em wi t s ort t rm m m ry lo s.

I don't think there's a port on your head. You may need to stick the memory someplace else.
:DHow comfortable that is will depend on whether you get Compact Flash or Micro-SD.

I'm buying a digital camera before Atlantis. Any recommendations for something simple and affordable that doesn't eat through batteries too fast?

chefann said:
I don't think there's a port on your head. You may need to stick the memory someplace else.
:DHow comfortable that is will depend on whether you get Compact Flash or Micro-SD.
That port is already fully populated with a couple of automobiles, several legal documents (having to do with former nuptuals) and several car clubs. I think there's a thread or two up there, too ~ lemmee look ~ yup. (That's why you can't find it anymore.)

Paige Dixon said:
I'm buying a digital camera before Atlantis. Any recommendations for something simple and affordable that doesn't eat through batteries too fast?
Oh - you were looking for a serious answer? In THIS thread? :eek:

My old HP is the size of a brick and still pretty much operates. It eats batteries as does any device that has motors (zoom and focus) and LCD's. The more you use the LCD, the faster it consumes batteries.

I solved that by investing in nicads and rechargers. I've got two chargers and three sets of batteries - one in the camera, one in the chager that's plugged into the car's "power outlet" (the PC term for a "cigarette lighter") and a spare, fully charged set in the camera case. I need my camera for work (I've already taked several gigabytes of photos for work) and I can't have batteries go dead, when I'm at a job site, without backups.

Go to dealnews.com to find good camera prices. They don't review them, so you'll need to figure out what you're looking for ahead of time.If you're just printing 4x6 prints, you shouldn't need anything bigger than 5 megapixels. The Polaroid I got this week is 5 megapixel, and it was on sale at Target for $88. The internal memory will only hold 6 pics at full resolution, but DH found me a 1GB card for $7. That will hold a couple hundred pics.

Seven bucks for a gig? For that, dance a jig.Okay, it's not exactly pullet surprize poetry (isn't that fowl?) but it is hard to believe how cheap memory has gotten.

I have some cheap memories, but I treasure them, still.

You should treasure a still, but watch our for the revenuers!

"She was only the bootlegger's daughter, but I loved her still.

Hijack!

It's Tiger's opening day today. I can see the stadium from the window here at work. It looks weird with all the lights on at 6:30 am. They're having a pennant ceremony at 12:30, and the game is at 1:00. So traffic will be awful when I leave work.

Go Tigers!

Have you been to a game there? I went to two games at old Tiger stadium - in 1982, I saw Robin Yount hit an inside-the-park-home run there and the second time I saw the Yankees (Boo Hiss Boo) play there. (That was in 1999 on the way to Cooperstown to watch Robin Yount and Nolan Ryan be inducted into the Hall of Fame.)

I've been to 1 game at Tiger Stadium and 2 at Comerica Park. That's the current stadium that I can see from work. It's about 20% full now - the championship pennant ceremony is at 12:30- 20 minutes from now. There are actually CROWDS down here today - a far cry from the "step above ghost town" that downtown Detroit usually is.

CoPa is nice, but the crowd feels far from the field. They've got a great baseball ferris wheel, and a giant concrete tiger out front. Lots of people get their pics taken in front of the statue. Right across Woodward Avenue is the Fox Theater, which is owned by the businessman who owns the Tigers (and Red Wings). They had a "Welcome Home AL Champs" message on the marquee this morning.

Traditionally, the home opener is the only guaranteed sell-out of the season, but that all changed last year!

hmmm... I should probably look for a website that's streaming the game....

It's the major league baseball site and you have to pay for it. I used to listen to the Brewers on the flagship station, as did most of us, until MLB figured out they could charge for it, just like the NFL does.Cheap. Bastards.

Oh... F that! I don't care enough about baseball to pay for it! (Heck, I only just started pledging to public radio a year ago. It felt good to call in last week and tell the operator that I was a renewing member, not a newbie.)

The stadium looks about 60% full now - lower bowl is mostly full, and upper deck about 25-30%.

They just set off fireworks! Not real effective in the middle of a sunny day, but we could hear them and see the smoke.

chefann said:
Oh... F that! I don't care enough about baseball to pay for it! (Heck, I only just started pledging to public radio a year ago. It felt good to call in last week and tell the operator that I was a renewing member, not a newbie.)

The stadium looks about 60% full now - lower bowl is mostly full, and upper deck about 25-30%.
Public TV? Yes. Although, I have to laugh when Wayne Dyer says you don't see murders on public television - he obviously has never seen Mystery or Masterpiece Theatre. He also claims the only news he ever watches is The News Hour with Lehrer. It's scary enough when people get their news from only one source, but even scarier when they brag about it. I suspect, and I hope, it was just shameless shilling for public television.

Public Radio? Not in Wisconsin - those nut jobs are never getting another nickel from me.

The station I support isn't NPR, but it is considered part of the Detroit Public Broadcasting group. It's the only classical station in town. There was a commercial classical station that closed its doors in 1998 or 1999. Some of the on-air talent from that station are now on WRCJ. And they kept a few of the cute things from back then, too. Like the Sousalarm at 7:15 am.

That reminds me- I have to go check their site. They were drawing one donor from the pledge drive that just ended and giving away a 30GB iPod with 100 hours of music pre-loaded.

To quote Emily Latella...Oh, well, that's different. NEVER MIND!(Our local classical station, WFMR, has been broadcasting classical since it went on the air in the 1950's. It has changed hands and frequncies several times but has stayed classical which is more than most markets can say. Chicago lost their commercial classical station a few years ago. (Before they started doing the satillite feed out of Boston a couple or years ago, they also did the Sousalarm and I miss that. They also used to have Eine Kleine Nine O'clock Musik featuring, you guessed it, Mozart, at 9:00 every morning but stopped doing that, too.)

Ooh-- I like that idea (with the Mozart). I'll have to send an email to the station manager (who is also the morning DJ who does the Sousalarm) about that.WRCJ has a Mid-Day Entree with a recipe at noon that's somehow tied to a piece of music, be it by the nationality of the composer, conductor, or ensemble, or the nickname of the piece.They also stream 24/7 at www.wrcj909fm.org.

WFMR also does Movies at Eleven (noon eastern) and the Box Office at 1:00 (2 Eastern) so we get to hear Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Goldsmith et. al, the 20th century classical composers who wrote good music instead of all that dissonant crap that marks most contemporary classical cra...er....music.They also seem to play the Warsaw Concerto - a lot - which seems like it was written by Chopin but was written by Richard Addinsell for a Brit war movie called Dangerous Moonlight (Suicide Squadron in the US) which was a forgettable movie but a wonderful piece of music.Nothing like hearing Bernstein's Magnificent Seven theme - mostly thinking about Marlboro I fear. If you pay attention to the music when you watch the movie, you realize what a genius Bernstein really was. Dee-de-di-dee-dee, Dee-de-di-dee-dee, Dee-de-di-dee-DUM! Dum-da-dum, Dump-dump-dum-dum-dum! Dump-dum-da-dum! Dump-dump-dum-dum-dum! Dee-deeeeeee, de-de-de-dee-deeeeeeee!Oh, but if I could only sing that well. :(Henry: Well I'll be damned. I never knew you had to be anything but a corpse to get into Boot Hill. How long's this been going?
Chamlee: Since the town got civilized.

Sheesh!I go back to work overnight and sleep all day, and while I'm dong that, you guys let this great thread :)rolleyes:) slip to the second page. You're slipping!

it is just not the same without you!

Ssssshhhhhh! I'm working right now. Don't tell anyone, okay?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Ssssshhhhhh! I'm working right now. Don't tell anyone, okay?
Working?? I don't have time for such things. I have a zillion projects to do around here and then I have to party (build my PC business) so I don't have time to slave for someone else.

I am so blessed to be able to do this, I know. But you really wouldn't believe all the things I need to do around here.

really just getting this back to page 1 for TKG!

I've been trying to be productive at work, and I had a meeting last night. I'm just skimming my popular threads before I log off and hit the resumes again.

You'll get a kick out of this. The latest resume I'm cleaning up started at 13 pages. I'm not done, and I've got it down to 9, which is really 7 because the employee has too many things in the lists on page 1, so it stretches onto page 2, and he has the same problem with the training classes he's taken stretching onto 2 pages. And it reads like it was written by a potato. I took off his "fluent in English" line because I just wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if I left it on (it's one thing to stretch the truth a little on a resume...)

chefann said:
I've been trying to be productive at work, and I had a meeting last night. I'm just skimming my popular threads before I log off and hit the resumes again.

You'll get a kick out of this. The latest resume I'm cleaning up started at 13 pages. /QUOTE]

Guess no one ever told him that the resume was to create interest to get the interview, not be a novel of qualifications!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sheesh!

I go back to work overnight and sleep all day, and while I'm dong that, you guys let this great thread :)rolleyes:) slip to the second page. You're slipping!

I was off in the big city taking care of some business. While there, of course, I managed to secure a couple of new PC hosts. Definitely made my trip worth it!

The down side is that I missed my CS time.

good for you Rae!

another thread was tallking about the WONDER PETS theme song.
well I keep going from the Smurf theme song to the Banana Splits songs ! 2 days now its driving me crazy.
why do we do this? I haven't seen either of those shows since I was 8 !

chefann said:

You'll get a kick out of this. The latest resume I'm cleaning up started at 13 pages. I'm not done, and I've got it down to 9, which is really 7 because the employee has too many things in the lists on page 1, so it stretches onto page 2, and he has the same problem with the training classes he's taken stretching onto 2 pages. And it reads like it was written by a potato. I took off his "fluent in English" line because I just wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if I left it on (it's one thing to stretch the truth a little on a resume...)
U shuld just leaf the "fluent in Englishes" line in their so any1 whoo reeds it will no he is a top preformor.

reba515 said:
another thread was tallking about the WONDER PETS theme song.
well I keep going from the Smurf theme song to the Banana Splits songs ! 2 days now its driving me crazy.
why do we do this? I haven't seen either of those shows since I was 8 !
That's called an "ear worm" that gets stuck in your head and won't go away.

Minnie Riperton singing "Lovin' You" ("...is easy 'cause you're beautiful...") is certainly one of them. (Did that get the theme song out of your head?)

who is Minnie Riperton?

From Wikipedia:"As a child, Riperton studied music, drama, and dance, and seriously considered a career in opera. However, her affiliation with the famous Chess Records record label soon allowed her to sing backup for Etta James, Fontella Bass, and Stevie Wonder. Riperton sang lead vocals for several small, unsuccessful bands before teaming up with her husband, composer Richard Rudolph, to start her solo career. Stevie Wonder agreed to produce her album Perfect Angel."Riperton was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy in 1976. She became an active spokeswoman for the American Cancer Society and was awarded the Society Courage Award from President Jimmy Carter. She died in 1979 at the age of 31 and was interred in the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles, California."In addition to her musical legacy, Minnie Riperton is survived by her husband, Richard Rudolph; son, Marc Rudolph; and daughter, Maya Rudolph, a current cast member of Saturday Night Live."She had a five octave range, including the ability to sing in the Whistle Register. In "Lovin' You" she used the high range to sing one verse that, to this day, some people adore and drives other people crazy.She died in 1979, at the age of 31, from complications from breast cancer.

Thanks, KG. It's been years since Lovin' You was stuck in my head.

La, la, la, la, la.
La, la, la, la, la.
La, la, la, la, laaaa, la, la, la, laaala.
Doot n doo doo doooo.
Aaaaaaaaaah.

Thanks, Rae! It's always great to have the no-words parts of songs stuck in your head.

Na na na na
Na na na na
hey hey hey
Good bye...

My pleasure, Brandie. It's just one of the many services I offer.

Another one this thread made me think of is Melanie's Brand New Key.

The very worst ear worm of all - anyone who has been to Wally World knows this one...It's a small world after all...
It's a small world after all...
It's a small world after all
It's a small, small world!Now everyone hates me.

I don't know. I think that either of these is worse:Mmm Bopor I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked a thousand
Miles to fall down at your door.

Dang! Now they're stuck in my head. Dueling ear worms.

Where's that pasty-faced kid with the banjo?Doo-do-dooo-dooo-do-do-do-do-doooooooo!
Twang-twang-twang-twang-twang-twang-twang-twang-twang.

raebates said:
I don't know. I think that either of these is worse:

Mmm Bop

or

I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked a thousand
Miles to fall down at your door.

No, KG I have to say Rae may have stolen the crown of "now they hate me"
These are ear termites!!!:eek:

Maybe, but when I hear Small, Small World I get the urge to find an automatic rifle and a post office.

One too many trips through the Small World ride?

raebates said:
One too many trips through the Small World ride?
ONE trip on that *&^%#$! ride is too many!

This was my first ride at DW 30 years ago (I was just born before I got on the ride...maybe it's not a good thing to tell such a big lie on Easter Sunday) ok OVER 30 years ago. My Mom and I have always been close so this was the FIRST Disney ride and I loved it. I rarely hear the song, but when I do, I think of this wonderful memory. Understand, this was my first trip to Florida (and DW) and I came from a small town (K-12 in one building...total of 350 or less kids and it remains that way today).

This one doesn't haunt me as it does you, KG, but I can understand how a song can make you go postal. My secretary and several other people share a small office and I swear she LOVES every 80's song that makes me want to take a spoon and gouge my eyes out. One privilege that I take advantage of as a boss...I turn her volume to mute on her computer. I am afraid I might kill her if I don't!!

Oh, c'mon now, there was some good stuff in the '80s, Walkin' On Sunshine, Gloria, Morning Train, Thriller, Sharp Dressed Man, Legs, Money For Nuthin', Take On Me, Walk Like An Egyptian and, and, and...okay, Milli Vanilli. You got me on that fraud.I'm glad you have a fond memory of Small Small World but almost everyone I know goes postal when they hear it.

<h2>1. What is a thread hijacking?</h2><p>A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.</p><h2>2. Why do threads get hijacked?</h2><p>There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.</p><h2>3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?</h2><p>Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.</p><h2>4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?</h2><p>Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.</p><h2>5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?</h2><p>If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.</p>

1. What is a thread hijacking?

A thread hijacking occurs when the topic of a conversation in a forum thread shifts from the original subject to something completely unrelated.

2. Why do threads get hijacked?

There are a few reasons why threads may get hijacked. Sometimes, it's simply the natural flow of conversation as one topic leads to another. Other times, it may be due to a lack of moderation or enforcement of staying on topic. Some users may also intentionally hijack threads for attention or to disrupt the conversation.

3. Is thread hijacking a common issue on forums?

Yes, thread hijacking is a common issue on forums. It can be frustrating for users who are genuinely interested in the original topic and can make it difficult for others to follow the conversation.

4. How can thread hijacking be prevented?

Moderation is key in preventing thread hijacking. Forum moderators should actively monitor threads and redirect the conversation back to the original topic if it veers off track. Setting clear guidelines for staying on topic can also help prevent thread hijacking.

5. What should I do if I notice a thread being hijacked?

If you notice a thread being hijacked, you can try politely redirecting the conversation back to the original topic. You can also flag the thread for moderation or report the issue to a forum moderator. It's important to remember to stay respectful and avoid engaging in any arguments or off-topic discussions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
PamperedDor