• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Welcome to the Neighborhood: Tips for Meeting New Neighbors

In summary, the conversation is about how to welcome new neighbors. Suggestions include bringing a PC dish or dessert with a bow and a Season's Best cookbook, along with a business card and catalog. Other suggestions include bringing non-PC treats like muffins or fruit, and wearing PC apparel or displaying car magnets to advertise the business without being too pushy. Some participants share funny stories about being the "weird neighbor" in their neighborhood.
Chozengirl
Gold Member
Who moved in next door to me last week.
I want to go over and introduce myself, but don't know how.
I wanted to take something PC over to them, but don't want to push it on them.
What do you suggest?

You could take over something nice to eat in a PC dish, and wrap a bow around a Season's Best. New cookbook for the new home!

When new neighbors move in I bring my business card over only. I tell them that it is so they can call me if they need anything or info about the area. They always comment that it is PC and I tell them that I am always looking for recipe testers. Then I bring over a recipe and catalog on the 2nd visit. I either get a loyal neighbor, new customer, or host.

Welcome them to the neighborhood!Bring over a yummy PC dessert in a disposable container, and also bring your business card, a catalog and SB recipe book. Welcome them to the neighborhood, and let them know you are the closest consultant to them and would be happy to help with anything they might need.
Also tell them a little about yourself and your family so it's not just a business visit. Be friendly and it should work out fine.

Debbie :D

Depending on the timing of when new neighbors move into our subdivision (it's still pretty new), I try to take over some cookies or other PC dessert. I do bring my card. I've never thought to bring a Season's Best though! Great idea. I think I'll do that next time. The last neighbor I did this for had a daughter who used to sell PC! So she new about the awesome quality and had lots of products. When the new forged cutlery came out, she bought a couple pieces of that. Then when I have my own shows, these people seem to be among the crowd who comes, too!:)

Just go meet & welcome them, it will come up in conversation.
I take either muffins, fruit or something from a local bakery we like and a sampler of tea bags or flavored coffee. I don't take a PC recipe that seems pushy to me.
I never want them to think oh gosh here comes that pushy PC lady.
I always remember what my mom said about first impressions.... don't want a husband thinking they must avoid me!!

Teresa Lynn said:
Just go meet & welcome them, it will come up in conversation.
I take either muffins, fruit or something from a local bakery we like and a sampler of tea bags or flavored coffee. I don't take a PC recipe that seems pushy to me.
I never want them to think oh gosh here comes that pushy PC lady.
I always remember what my mom said about first impressions.... don't want a husband thinking they must avoid me!!
I thought of that!
I do have my car magnets on my SUV, so it's not like they 'can't' see it.
I am such a scardy cat when it comes to meeting new people.
I HATE IT!

exactly!!
I wear my old PC tshirts when I'm doing yard work, wear good ones when running errands & have the decal on my car windows.
They probably aren't moving again soon, they'll find out what you do.....

Chozengirl said:
Who moved in next door to me last week.
I want to go over and introduce myself, but don't know how.
I wanted to take something PC over to them, but don't want to push it on them.
What do you suggest?
I don't think food is ever considered a "pushy" gift.

In my case, it's not so easy to do. Remember when we were kids, at Halloween, there was always one house no one went to? The rumor was that a weird old man lived there and he ate kids.

In my neighborhood, I'm that guy.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
In my case, it's not so easy to do. Remember when we were kids, at Halloween, there was always one house no one went to? The rumor was that a weird old man lived there and he ate kids.

That doesn't surprise us, KG!

Remember the Bartles & James television spots?Thank you for your support. :p

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Thanks for the laugh! I remember that guy in my neighborhood. The thought of him still gives me the willies. :eek:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I don't think food is ever considered a "pushy" gift.

Bwaaahahahaaa...

Thats FUNNY!! Know what...I"M THAT GUY TOO!!!! er, uh...girl...

And we have kids, thats the kicker. My oldest usually goes out with her friends Trick or Treating and my 2 yr old just doesnt like it (yet) so we stay home and turn of the lights. More candy for us, baby!!

thechefofnorthbend said:
. . . my 2 yr old just doesnt like it (yet) so we stay home and turn of the lights. More candy for us, baby!!

Okay, so we've hijacked another thread.

When my son was in 3rd grade, Halloween fell on a cold, wet weeknight. I asked him how he would feel about this idea: I would buy him a bag of any candy he wanted. We would have pizza and eat it on the family room floor while playing board games and watching movies. (We call that a mom & Shawn party.) He loved the idea. We did that every year from then on. I never had to take him trick or treating again.

BTW, he's now 20, and he still asks for his bag of Halloween candy. Now, though, he's willing to wait for the day after candy sale.

thechefofnorthbend said:
Bwaaahahahaaa...

Thats FUNNY!! Know what...I"M THAT GUY TOO!!!! er, uh...girl...

And we have kids, thats the kicker. My oldest usually goes out with her friends Trick or Treating and my 2 yr old just doesnt like it (yet) so we stay home and turn of the lights. More candy for us, baby!!
I don't imagine that the headstone in my back yard helps the reputation any.

Thanks for the laugh KG! I laughed out loud and my hubby looked at me weird!:confused: ;)

That was funny KG.
Maybe I should go introduce myself, before they think I am that woman :D

Smart thinking Melissa!:p

You guys think I'm kiddin'?First of all, my home was built in 1840. It was one of the original farmsteads in my community. (My church is a Johnny-Come-Lately since it was built between 1869-1871.) When I get home, I'll take a photo of my back yard and post it for you to see.

Oh no! I'm kinda scared KG!!! :eek:

Chozengirl said:
That was funny KG.
Maybe I should go introduce myself, before they think I am that woman :D
Do what I do. Plant some geraniums on your headstone this spring.

We buy a ton of candy, eat it all, then buy the crappy stuff to hand out to trick-or-treaters!

That doesn't surprise me, that KG has a tombstone in his yard, and it's not a pizza. :)

DH and I don't have kids, and don't like dealing with them. So we never hand out candy for Halloween. It helps that there are no sidewalks on our side of the street, and the houses are fairly far apart. It's too much "work" for the kids to bother. So we turn all the lights off and surf the internet.

Our neighborhood is built on 1-2 acre lots so the neighborhood provides hay rides & the adults not accompanying children dress up, decorate our yards and pass out candy from our driveways.
Some families don't do the candy they serve BBQ brisket or sausage, others offer popcorn, cider, cocoa, sodas etc.
we have a blast!!

Teresa, your neighborhood sounds fun!

It is fun, we sometimes have controversy always around mayoral election time and when the homeowners enforce something or when the gates at the entrance don't work!!
it's a rural (ok was rural 8 years ago) when we moved here now we have a Sonic and EXXon across the country road.
we also don't have sidewalks but everyone is so neighborly.
We have a pumpkin decorating contest, Santa visits, 4th of July parade, a neighborhood catered picnic in the summer, Bunco tournaments etc.

chefann said:
That doesn't surprise me, that KG has a tombstone in his yard, and it's not a pizza. :)
It's Grandpa.And what would you like on your tombstone?
tombstone_logo.jpg
Img_BoyDracula.jpg

Last edited:
Our home (built in 1886) came with a legend that the fire damage still visible in the attic was caused by the owner blowing up his moonshine still so the "revenuers" would catch him.

In our basement, there is a hole in the concrete wall. It is the size and shape of a homemade coffin. It is perfectly shaped in the concrete, so it's not accidental. We believe it was used to hide the liquor. When our son was small and his friends would come over, my husband would tell them that it was where we put bad kids. I still have people who tell me their kids told them about it when they got home, but they didn't believe them. :)

There is a building out back that I use as a garage, but it was actually built as the Summer Kitchen about 1880, at least, according to the lady in charge of the local hysterical society. I have no reason to doubt her, two pegged windows remain in the builiding. There is a poorly repaired hole in the roof of that building and I'm going to steal your more romantic story of the hole in the roof. The real story isn't as romantic as a 'shiner blowing up his still - it was the guy, two owners ago, who built a home made air compressor and apparently didn't think a pressure relief valve was necessary.My neighbor claims the tank just missed his back porch when it came down.

chefann said:
Hey! Youse!

Youse lookin' for a pizza me? That takes a lotta crust.

I never sausage a thing.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There is a building out back that I use as a garage, but it was actually built as the Summer Kitchen about 1880, at least, according to the lady in charge of the local hysterical society. I have no reason to doubt her, two pegged windows remain in the builiding. There is a poorly repaired hole in the roof of that building and I'm going to steal your more romantic story of the hole in the roof. The real story isn't as romantic as a 'shiner blowing up his still - it was the guy, two owners ago, who built a home made air compressor and apparently didn't think a pressure relief valve was necessary.My neighbor claims the tank just missed his back porch when it came down.
Steal away!My husband is an amazing do-it-yourselfer. He's always telling me the idiotic things people have done to supposedly save time and money. It's when things go horribly wrong that they call him and ask his advice. I'll have to tell him the story of the hole in your shed roof.

The really sad thing about it is that the only structures left from when this was a working farm are the house, the Summer kitchen and the pig barn, which is now a small storage shed. (It's juuuuuussssssst big enough to house a Model A or a Triumph TR-3 and a few lawn tractor accessories.)The pig barn and Summer kitchen will have to be torn down so I can build a garage big enough to play cars in. The Summer kitchen is an excellent example of 19th Century construction, with oak 2x4's that are a by-gosh 2" by 4" and veritcal tounge-in-groove siding. The village has no romaticism for the historical nature of the building and demands that it be torn down before I can built another out building.I hate tin-horn bureaucrats.

raebates said:
Steal away!

My husband is an amazing do-it-yourselfer. He's always telling me the idiotic things people have done to supposedly save time and money. It's when things go horribly wrong that they call him and ask his advice. I'll have to tell him the story of the hole in your shed roof.
[hijack] Ever been to this place?

IM002653.jpg

[/hijack]

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The pig barn and Summer kitchen will have to be torn down so I can build a garage big enough to play cars in. The Summer kitchen is an excellent example of 19th Century construction, with oak 2x4's that are a by-gosh 2" by 4" and veritcal tounge-in-groove siding. The village has no romaticism for the historical nature of the building and demands that it be torn down before I can built another out building.

I hate tin-horn bureaucrats.

You wanna see my garage? Of course you do!
http://www.dannann.net/eriamjh/chrometheatre/south.jpg

The brown house with the black roof is my house. There's an attached (barely) 2-car garage (also black roof) with a 4-car garage attached to that (green roof). The 4-car is the new building that we built in 2004, finished in 2005-06. If it were 6 inches longer, we would have needed a variance. DH has industrial lighting, MANY outlets (18" above the floor and at workbench height, every 3-4 feet), 3 ceiling fans, A/C, heat, phone, cable TV, internet, oven (for powdercoating parts), air compressor, sandblasting cabinet....

Jealous yet, KG? ;)

It's more Freudian.I have severe Garage Envy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
Dawn4
  • rebeccastt
  • General Chat